Streamed recordings of primarily classical music. Also includes world/folk music, Chinese orchestral, folk, and traditional music. See Details for technical requirements and tips on off-campus access.
- About Naxos Music Library
- Naxos is a prominent producer of classical music recordings.
- The online service (Naxos Music Library) offers the complete Naxos and Marco Polo catalogues, plus thousands of titles from other labels, including Chandos, BIS, Hungaroton, Hanssler, Bridge, First Edition, CPO, Coro, and Wergo.
- Some of the historical recordings are not available in the U.S. due to copyright restrictions.
- Any efforts to "download, copy, burn, capture, re-transmit, stream, record or reproduce the Service [Naxos] by any means or in any form" are strictly prohibited.
- System Requirements
- Naxos uses Windows Media Player
(Mac and PC compatible) embedded in a simple Web interface to
stream audio at near-CD quality (64K broadband). See User
- Naxos uses Windows Media Player (Mac and PC compatible) embedded in a simple Web interface to stream audio at near-CD quality (64K broadband). See User Instructions.
- PC users: MS Windows 98SE, 2000, XP with MS IE
6.0 / Mozilla 1.7.1 / FireFox 1 / Netscape 7.1 using Media Player
9 or 10. Browser Settings: Privacy = Medium, ActiveX controls = Enable,
Cookies = Accept, Pop-up Blocker = Off, Sound Scheme = No Sound.
Naxos does not work with Netscape 4.x.
- Macintosh users: Mac OS X 10.2.x / OS X 10.3.x
with MS IE 5.2 / Mozilla 1.7 / Netscape 7.1 / Safari 1.0 using Media
Player 9 or Flip4Mac (download at http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx); or Mac OS 10.4.x (Intel) with Safari 2.0.4 / Firefox 1.5 with Media
Player 7.1 or Flip4Mac. Browser Settings: Open using Rosetta.
- Your Internet connection will determine the streaming rate you can
choose. A higher Internet bandwidth will permit better sound quality.
Minimum requirements are
- DSL or ISDN for 64Kbps streaming (near CD quality)
- Dial-up connection for 20Kbps streaming (FM quality
- Technical Notes
- To bookmark Naxos, use this URL: http://uconnecticut.naxosmusiclibrary.com. If your bookmark includes /default.asp at the end of the URL, the bookmark will not work.
- Naxos times out after 60 minutes. You will be asked to click at the end of the period to stay logged on; otherwise the connection times out, and you have to start over.
- Mac Users: Flip4Mac provides Windows Media video and audio playback
(.wma and .wmv) in the QuickTime Player for Mac OS X. Windows Media
Player for Mac is also available as a free download from Microsoft,
but future updates will be discontinued. Flip4Mac does not support
content that is protected with Windows Media digital rights management
- Searching Naxos Music Library
- Browse a list of composers or categories, or keyword search by composer, work title, genre, country, period, year of composition, instrument, music category, performer, or a combination of terms.
- Some Naxos recordings are also searchable in the UConn Libraries' General Search.
Find and display a musical
description, then click on "connect to the recording." (Not
all NML recordings are listed in the General Search. Additional descriptions
will be added as they become available.)
- Instructors can create "play lists" for their
students or provide links from other Web pages or documents to specific
CDs or tracks. See Naxos
Instructors' Guide: Playlists & Links (PDF).
- More Information About Naxos Music Library
- Naxos Music Library is updated monthly (200 new CDs annual minimum, average 36 per month in 2006).
- Most recordings display the original CD covers and include complete track lists. The Naxos and Marco Polo label recordings include liner notes.
- Supporting textual materials includes glossary, pronunciation guide, opera synopses and libretti, music fundamental terms, repertoire, and histories.
See Details for technical requirements and tips on off-campus access.
|Access Restrictions||University of Connecticut only|