Comprehensive encyclopedia of Western art music (“classical music”), with general coverage of jazz, non-Western, and folk music. Also includes the Grove Dictionary of Music and Grove Companion to Music.
Contains the full text of the largest and most comprehensive music encyclopedias in the English language, including the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (29 volumes, 2001), New Grove Dictionary of Opera (4 volumes, 1992), New Grove Dictionary of Jazz (3 volumes, 2002), Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1 volume, 1994), Grove Dictionary of American Music (8 volumes, 2013), and Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (5 volumes, 2014).
- Grove Music Online has full-text search capabilities and subject classifications for browsing.
- Articles are written by scholars with subject expertise and include bibliographies pointing to important works of scholarship on the topic.
- Topics include musical genres and forms, musical instruments; places; organizations and institutions; musicology, theory, and criticism; and people (e.g., composers, performers, scholars, librettists, patrons, publishers, instrument makers, and others who influenced or contributed to the world of music).
- Many of the composer biographies include detailed lists of works.
- Many articles include visual examples, Sibelius-enabled musical examples (score and audio clips), and links to Web sites and audio archives.
- Annual updates include new articles and corrections to older articles.
Grove Music Online is limited to 8 simultaneous users. If you can"t get in, please wait a short time and try again.
Also Known As:
- Grove Music Online
|Allowed Locations||Storrs and Regional Campuses, UConn Health Center, UConn Law School|
|Access Restrictions||University of Connecticut only|